Pages

Wednesday 11 April 2018

McQueen Cake


E just turned three! He's a biiiig Cars fan so I knew I had a challenge...
This cake was a real team effort: J (big brother, 5) helped with the design, giving ideas of details to include and P (aka Daddy) painted the all important eyes. 
After all the Easter chocolate, I wanted something different: orange cake and rhubarb compote (the last of last year's harvest...). I know it's an unusual choice, especially for kids but the boys love rhubarb!

It was done over three days and I didn't have much sleep but when I saw my little ones' faces, it was all worth it!



Day -2, evening: make details with fondant mixed with Tylo powder so they would be dry and hard on the day. (to get an idea of the scale, I piled up the cake tins I wanted to use)
side note: I've definitely reached my max modelling ability on this one!
                           defrost rhubarb compote
                           prepare cake board

Day -1, morning: bake cakes (I used the zebra cake recipe with orange zests), reheat rhubarb compote and thicken it a little, prepare American buttercream and syrup 


Day -1, evening: level cakes, brush syrup on top then layer with rhubarb compote (and a buttercream dam) and crumb coat. Leave the cake in the fridge for a while.
                           cover the cake in fondant and make the eye panel and the headlights (I actually had to do the panel twice to look right)
                           place in the fridge overnight uncovered


D day: get the cake out of the fridge at least an hour before final decorating (the fondant sweats while it gets to room temperature and it's important not to touch it!) 
           colour the buttercream
           ask Wonderful Husband to paint the eyes and headlights (colouring paste and vodka to dilute)
           put it all together and keep fingers crossed!


Verdict? Yum! The cake was moist and well balanced and everybody loved it. Winner!

A few detail shots? Of course! (look at those eyes!!!! very proud wife :p )





No comments:

Post a Comment