Pages

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Warhammer 40k Cake


An afterthought, quick (kind of...) birthday cake for Mr! Totally out of my comfort zone: skulls, weapons and painting! Oh my... the painting... Anyway...

J and I baked a zebra cake (more info here) but went for a freestyle approach...
The cake was then cut into two squares and then leveled and sliced to give me 4 layers in total.

Note: there were some big air bubbles in the cake. I should have given the tin a few taps against the worktop before baking.


For the dark chocolate ganache:
300mL cream
300g good black cooking/baking chocolate, in small pieces

Take the cream to the boil then pour over the chocolate. Leave for a couple of minutes then stir carefully with a spatula until smooth and glossy.
Film and leave to cool and thicken at room temperature.

That was enough for the filling, crumb coating, final covering and lazy cake board covering (with brown sugar sprinkled over it).

I used a food marker to sketch the "insert the proper name of whatever that symbol means" Dark Angels Chapter Symbol. Thank goodness for miniature painting blogs! (If you want to make fun of me, here is the original miniature, pro standards...)
The cake was left overnight in the fridge.


Some of decorations got very soft in the fridge, I'm guessing because of the humidity of the ganache.
Maybe if everything was covered in fondant (the whole cake and the board) I wouldn't have had that problem? hmm...


Then it was time to get my brushes out, the food colouring and some vodka (to dilute the colours, not for Dutch courage!). I was rather pleased with myself then was nicely told that I needed to work on my technique... Cheeky!


The great news about that cake: it wasn't dry at all, probably because there is no butter in it (mix of oil and milk) and the ganache went really well with it. Thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment